In terms of adhesion strength, sherwin williams extreme bond primer is better than kilz. When it comes to finding the perfect primer, there are many options available on the market.
Two of the most popular primers, sherwin williams extreme bond primer and kilz, are often compared to determine which one is better. While both primers have their own unique benefits, they vary significantly in terms of adhesion strength. In this article, we will discuss the key differences between sherwin williams extreme bond primer and kilz, helping you choose the best primer for your needs.
- What Is Sherwin Williams Extreme Bond?
- What Is Kilz Primer?
- Battle Of The Primers: Sherwin Williams Extreme Bond Vs Kilz
- Frequently Asked Questions Of Sherwin Williams Extreme Bond Primer Vs Kilz
- Will Sherwin Williams Extreme Bond Primer Stick To Glossy Surfaces?
- Can Kilz Primer Be Used On Outdoor Surfaces?
- Which Primer Is Better For Bare Wood – Sherwin Williams Extreme Bond Or Kilz?
- Can Kilz Primer Be Used As A Stain Blocker?
- Does Sherwin Williams Extreme Bond Primer Require Sanding Before Use?
- Is Kilz Primer Suitable For Use On Metal Surfaces?
What Is Sherwin Williams Extreme Bond?
Sherwin williams extreme bond primer vs kilz: what is sherwin williams extreme bond?
Are you planning to repaint your home or office soon? If yes, you might need to consider using a primer before applying your topcoat. A primer ensures that your topcoat adheres well to the surface and lasts longer. Sherwin williams, a well-known brand in the paint industry, has formulated a primer named extreme bond.
In this blog post, we will discuss everything you need to know about sherwin williams extreme bond primer, its benefits, and how to use it.
Explanation And Benefits Of Using Sherwin Williams Extreme Bond Primer
Sherwin williams extreme bond primer is a high-quality bonding primer that can be used on a variety of surfaces, including those that are typically difficult to coat. Here are some key points about the primer’s explanation and benefits:
- Extreme bond primer is made to give excellent adhesion to glossy, smooth surfaces, such as pvc, vinyl, glass tile, glazed brick, and metal, without you having to sand or scuff them.
- The primer works well on tough-to-paint surfaces that are already painted or coated with a stain.
- It is tintable to any color and can be easily applied using a paintbrush, roller, or sprayer.
- The primer promotes proper leveling and working time.
- It dries quickly and has excellent flexibility, making it ideal for surfaces exposed to temperature changes, moisture, wind, and sunlight.
Using Sherwin Williams Extreme Bond Primer For Various Surfaces
Knowing where to use extreme bond primer is essential in ensuring successful painting projects. Here are some surfaces where you can use the primer:
- Pvc, vinyl, and plastic surfaces
- Glass tile, glazed brick, and other tough-to-paint surfaces
- Non-ferrous metal surfaces like brass, copper, and aluminum
- Painted or stained surfaces that require repainting
- Surfaces found in high-traffic areas like doors, windows, and trims
- Surfaces exposed to extreme weather conditions like exterior walls, floors, and decks
How To Apply Sherwin Williams Extreme Bond Primer
If you’re planning to use sherwin williams extreme bond primer for your painting project, follow these steps to ensure the best results:
- Prepare the surface – remove dirt, dust, grease, and loose paint by cleaning it thoroughly.
- Apply the primer – apply one to two coats of the primer using a brush, roller, or sprayer. Make sure to apply it evenly and avoid over-applying.
- Dry – allow the primer to dry for at least two hours before applying your topcoat.
- Apply your topcoat – after the primer dries, apply your topcoat using a brush, roller, or sprayer.
Sherwin williams extreme bond primer is a reliable primer that you can use to ensure excellent adhesion on any surface. It is essential to choose the right type of primer for your painting project to ensure that your topcoat holds up over time.
By following the tips on how to apply the primer and the surfaces where you can use it, you can achieve professional-looking results. Happy painting!
What Is Kilz Primer?
Sherwin-williams extreme bond primer and kilz primer are two popular paint primers used by professional painters and diy enthusiasts. While both primers can get the job done, knowing the differences between both can help you choose the best product for the task at hand.
In this section, we will concentrate on kilz primer, its benefits, and how to use it on various surfaces.
Explanation Of Kilz Primer And Its Benefits
Kilz primer is a general-purpose water-based primer that prepares different surfaces for painting. It is formulated to block water, smoke, and grease stains, making it an excellent choice for interior and exterior painting projects. Below are some benefits of using kilz primer:
- It helps to hide surface imperfections such as cracks and small holes, ensuring a smooth and uniform surface.
- Kilz primer has excellent adhesion, which helps the paint bond well with the surface, making it longer-lasting.
- It is low-voc, which means it releases fewer toxic fumes, making it eco-friendly.
Using Kilz Primer For Different Surfaces
Kilz primer is versatile and can be used on various surfaces such as wood, brick, drywall, plaster, metal, and masonry. Below are some tips on using kilz primer on different surfaces:
- Wood surface: Clean with soap and water, sand, then apply kilz primer with a brush, roller, or sprayer.
- Metal surface: Clean the surface, remove rust, if any, then apply kilz primer with a brush, roller, or sprayer.
- Brick surface: Clean the surface, then apply kilz primer with a brush, roller, or sprayer.
- Drywall: Clean the surface, then apply kilz primer with a brush, roller, or sprayer.
How To Apply Kilz Primer
Applying kilz primer is an easy process, and you do not need to hire a professional painter. Below is a step-by-step guide on how to apply kilz primer:
- Start by cleaning the surface with soap and water. If it’s a wood surface, sand it lightly to remove any rough spots.
- If there are any gaps, dents, or cracks, fill them with an appropriate filler and let it dry.
- Open the kilz primer and stir it thoroughly before applying it. You can use a brush, roller, or sprayer.
- Start by applying the primer at the top of the surface and work your way down.
- Apply a thin and even coat of primer, and avoid over-applying as it will take longer to dry.
- Let the primer dry completely before painting over it. The label on the kilz primer container should indicate the drying time.
Kilz primer is a great option for preparing surfaces for painting. Its versatility, excellent adhesion, and low-voc properties make it a favorite among diy enthusiasts and professionals alike. Ensure you follow the steps outlined above when using kilz primer on different surfaces to achieve the best results.
Battle Of The Primers: Sherwin Williams Extreme Bond Vs Kilz
When it comes to painting projects, primer serves as the foundation for a smooth and durable finish. However, with so many options available in the market, choosing the right one can be overwhelming. In this battle of the primers, we will compare sherwin williams extreme bond primer and kilz primer to see which one is the best for your interior and exterior projects, which dries faster, and which is more durable.
So, let’s dive in and explore these two popular primers.
Comparison Of Sherwin Williams Extreme Bond And Kilz Primer
Both sherwin williams extreme bond and kilz primer are exceptional in their own ways. To help you decide which one to use for your next project, we have compared their features below.
Which One Is Better For Interior Projects?
- Sherwin williams extreme bond primer is a high-performance primer that allows you to paint over challenging surfaces like ceramic tile, formica, and glass. It is ideal for interior drywall, concrete, masonry, wood, and non-ferrous metal surfaces.
- Kilz primer also provides excellent adhesion and stain blocking for interior surfaces such as drywall, cured plaster, woodwork, masonry, concrete, and more. It prevents the growth of mold and mildew and seals porous surfaces.
Which One Is Better For Exterior Projects?
- Sherwin williams extreme bond primer is specifically designed for exterior use, making it resistant to extreme weather conditions, uv rays, and temperature changes. It provides superior adhesion to tough surfaces like pvc, vinyl, glass, and previously painted surfaces.
- Kilz primer is also suitable for exterior surfaces and provides excellent protection from mildew, moisture, and stains. It can be applied on wood, masonry, brick, stucco, and metal surfaces.
Which Primer Dries Faster?
- Sherwin williams extreme bond primer dries to the touch in one hour and can be re-coated after four hours, making it a quick and efficient option for time-sensitive projects.
- Kilz primer dries to the touch in 30 minutes and can be re-coated after one hour. It is a perfect choice for projects that require fast turnaround times.
Which Primer Has Better Coverage?
- Sherwin williams extreme bond primer has excellent coverage, and one gallon can cover up to 400 square feet, making it a perfect option for larger projects.
- Kilz primer can also cover up to 400 square feet per gallon and has exceptional hide and coverage, making it an ideal choice for projects that require maximum coverage.
Which Primer Is More Durable?
- Sherwin williams extreme bond primer is highly durable, and once applied, it creates a tight bond that cannot be easily broken. It provides long-lasting protection and enhances the life of the paint.
- Kilz primer is also exceptionally durable and provides excellent adhesion and protection against harsh environmental factors.
Both sherwin williams extreme bond and kilz primer are great options, and the choice ultimately depends on your specific project needs. However, if you are looking for a primer for challenging surfaces and extreme environmental factors, then sherwin williams extreme bond primer is a better option.
If you require fast drying and excellent coverage, then kilz primer is the way to go.
Frequently Asked Questions Of Sherwin Williams Extreme Bond Primer Vs Kilz
Will Sherwin Williams Extreme Bond Primer Stick To Glossy Surfaces?
Yes, sherwin williams extreme bond primer will stick to glossy surfaces. It is specially formulated to create strong adhesion for surfaces that are typically hard to adhere to.
Can Kilz Primer Be Used On Outdoor Surfaces?
Yes, kilz primer can be used on outdoor surfaces. It offers excellent adhesion, sealing properties, and can be used for both interior and exterior surfaces.
Which Primer Is Better For Bare Wood – Sherwin Williams Extreme Bond Or Kilz?
Sherwin williams extreme bond primer is better for bare wood. It creates a strong bond between the surface and the primer, ensuring better adhesion of the paint.
Can Kilz Primer Be Used As A Stain Blocker?
Yes, kilz primer can be used as a stain blocker. It is formulated to effectively cover up tough stains like grease, smoke, and water stains, making it an ideal solution for priming walls.
Does Sherwin Williams Extreme Bond Primer Require Sanding Before Use?
Yes, sherwin williams extreme bond primer requires sanding before use. It is recommended to use a fine grit sandpaper to roughen the surface for better adhesion of the primer.
Is Kilz Primer Suitable For Use On Metal Surfaces?
Yes, kilz primer is suitable for use on metal surfaces. It provides excellent rust inhibition and adhesion, making it perfect for priming metal surfaces before painting.
Finally, both the sherwin williams extreme bond primer and kilz have their strengths and weaknesses. However, after extensive research and analysis, it’s clear that the sherwin williams extreme bond primer stands out in terms of its bonding abilities and versatility, making it the ideal choice for different types of surfaces.
The primer can bond with a wide range of surfaces, including metals, laminates, and pvc. In contrast, kilz performs exceptionally when used in specific scenarios, such as covering water or smoke damage, and it’s a great choice for outdoor surfaces.
Ultimately, the choice of primer largely depends on the job at hand and the surface you’re working with. We hope this comparison helps you make an informed decision next time you’re shopping for primers. Always have in mind that quality priming is key to any successful painting job.